By Erika Fehrenbach Prell
You have probably heard of the idea of a bucket list. Perhaps you are wondering what the big deal is...why should I bother with making one? The more traditional bucket list is one to do with life, basically your big life “to-do list”, which usually includes those big goals and dreams. This is a fun and comprehensive way to keep track of all that you want to accomplish. Writing them down is great with the next step being setting a plan to do these things on your heart. A bucket list is an awesome best life tool to maximize the fun and adventurous experiences of your life.
In a similar fashion, the summer bucket list is a popular idea. Like Olaf in Frozen (sorry, we are in a HUGE Frozen kick in our house these days), we all dream of summer. Pools and lemonade, bike rides and ice cream shops, building a sandcastle with our toes in the sand...ahhh, so many things to do! If you are a Midwesterner like myself, summer is a fleeting season; it is here and gone before you know it. Which is exactly why a summer bucket list is such a great idea! Let’s be real, if you don’t have a plan, all those summertime adventures you look forward to in the frozen landscape of February will not happen.
It’s time to trade in the tennis shoes for flip flops and get your summer set for fun, adventures, and, most important, lasting memories! Here’s how I go about my summer bucket list planning and executing:
1. Brainstorm All the Things - This is the fun part. My kids and I do this together, adding new things as well as bringing back things we always want to do. If you need a place to start, check out this image!
2. Prioritize - Some things are more important than others or only happen on certain days. If those are must-dos, make sure to put them at the top of your list. Adding the dates is also helpful.
3. Grab the Calendar - My ride or die for life...my paper calendar and phone app. Take a few minutes to get organized, add in dates of work commitments, sports, camps, family reunions, graduations parties, weddings. Once these are in, you will know what days you can start planning your Summer Bucket List adventures on!
4. Schedule It In - Scheduled time is protected time. Once you find a time slot for your Summer Bucket List adventures, schedule it in and treat it like a work commitment, one that you won’t break unless you absolutely have to. Trust me on this...the only way to actually do these things you want is to schedule it in.
5. Fun Times Ahead - Have the best summer ever making memories you will cherish for a lifetime (or until next summer!).
Okay. I hear you already. This sounds lovely but how will I have time to do all these things on our list....I don’t want to disappoint. Oh, the mom guilt… I get it; here’s your solution to maximizing the bucket list...Summer Bucket List Bundle Adventures. And, so you don’t have to think of them yourself, here are 5 to try (adjust as necessary for your crew!):
Doesn’t this already sound like the best summer of your life?!? From one mom to another, adding in the Summer Bucket List has been the best idea to up the fun, adventures, and memory-making, all it takes is a sprinkle of intention and a dash of mindfulness. Get out there and have fun! As always, Shine On!
P.S. As an aside, I’m not sure why the other seasons don’t have a bucket list associated with their fun activities. I would recommend making a Fall, Winter, and Spring Bucket List as well. This might be some extra fun and joy to a season that you normally don’t look forward to!
Jackie White has been writing about life and its ups and downs for many years. With a degree in Industrial Psychology and a life-long student of personal development she is intrigued by how each individual chooses to live their life. Jackie feels strongly that truly living your best life is imperative to attaining peace and fulfillment. SoulShine was borne of her desire to inspire and teach others to live their best life. This is her mission and her dream.